Useful information for families

  • Please see A to Z Gide to RCH

    Parents are encouraged to download the My RCH App – an interactive guide designed for patients and families of the RCH.  This helps families know what to expect during their stay, and navigate around the RCH world.  


    Families are encouraged to contact accommodation options themselves.

    Ronald McDonald House is located a short walk from RCH in Parkville, tel.  (03) 9966 8400 or nearby in North Fitzroy, tel. (03) 9966 8440

    Medistays is a useful web resource that can assist with locating accommodation close to the hospital.


    Families may be eligible for Centrelink payments including:

    Carer allowance; ‘A fortnightly supplement if you give additional daily care to someone who has a disability, serious illness, or is frail aged.’ For Carers allowance the medical condition must meet the criteria of being chronic (lifelong) or for a prolonged period of time.

    Carers Payment; ‘An income support payment if you give constant care to someone who has a severe disability, illness, or an adult who is frail aged.’

    Health Care Card (HCC); ‘A concession card to get cheaper medicines and some discounts if you get a payment from us.’

    You will automatically get a HCC if you receive either carer allowance or payment.

    COVID Visitor restrictions

    Please speak to the Nurse Unit Manager on your child's ward, or the Specialist Clinics desk staff for any queries about current visitor rules.

    Financial counselling

    The Australian Government provides a free financial counselling service which you can access to receive information, advice and advocacy if you are experiencing financial difficulty. Phone 1800 007 007 (9:30am-4:30am, Monday to Friday), or visit the National Debt Helpline website to find a local face-to-face office near you at

    GP access

    Royal Park Medical is the closest GP, opposite RCH on Flemington Road. See for details.


    Confidential, professional interpreters are is available 24 hours, seven days a week.  Ask the staff caring for your child to arrange an interpreter for you if required.

    Telephone (03) 9345 5998 or see for details.

    Material aid

    Nurse coordinators can explore family circumstances where appropriate.  Families experiencing financial hardship or requiring urgent assistance should contact Social Work on 9345 9300, or through your child's bedside nurse. 

    Mental Health

    For non urgent issues, parents can see their GP to access a Mental Health Care Plan for their child.

    If a parent does not feel they can keep their child safe and/or the child is at risk of imminent harm to themselves in the context of acute mental health concerns – 000 or presenting at local Emergency Department.

    Victorian Psychiatric Triage Number – 1300 874 243 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

    Kids Help Line – 1800 551 800 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

    Phone Counselling Service

    Head to Help – 1800 595 212

    Lifeline – 13 11 14 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

    Crisis and support for suicide prevention

    Youth Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

    Good resource for lower acuity – online and phone counselling

    eHeadspace -

    Online counselling for 12-25yo

    Phone Apps for iPhone/Android

    • SmilingMind

    • Headspace

    • Niggle by Kids Help Line

    My RCH Portal

    My RCH Portal is a way for the RCH to put you at the center of your care. It is a website and mobile app that gives you and your parents or legal guardians access to information in the RCH medical record, when and where it suits you.All information on the RCH portal can be accessed here


    Refer to RCH Car parking procedure for details

    Families are eligible for a discount parking card if:

    • Their child receives a disability allowance (e.g. Child Disability 'CD' on the patient's Health Care Card or Disability Support Pension 'DSP' on the Pension Card).

    • Parent/ carer is in possession of a Federal Government Concession – i.e. pension health care card.

    • Child has been an inpatient for 48 hours or more.

    Families experiencing undue financial hardship can request discount parking fees by contacting their Ward Clerk, Specialist Clinic desk staff or the Social Work Administration Coordinator via Allied Health Reception B on Level 1, East Building or tel. 93459300.


    Food and retail outlets at the RCH include a cafeteria; a variety of cafés including a gelato bar, sushi bar and McDonald's; a convenience store; retail pharmacy; bookshop and gift shop.  All are located on the Ground floor (Beach), in (or just off) Main Street. Trading hours vary, but many operate from 6:30am to 10:00pm every day.

    IGA 75 Flemington Road, closes at 10pm.  Vending machines are also located on all levels of the hospital except the Ground floor.

    ATMS are located on ground floor next to Sandrock café.

    MyKi tickets are available from Wood Pharmacy, on Main Street.

    Transport Assistance Schemes

    Families can access relevant transport schemes if they are travelling more than 100km from the RCH. Ward clerks/ Specialist Clinic admin staff can supply printed copies and assist with Medicare provider details.

    If you live more than 100km away from the hospital, you may be eligible for travel and accommodation assistance from the Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS).

      Claim forms are available from the RCH’s Family Hub, clinic desks and Main Street Reception, or you can download the form

      The medical specialist will need to complete some sections of the form before you can claim.

      Equivalent schemes are available in each state for interstate residents.

      Wadja Aboriginal Family Place

      Wadja Aboriginal Family Place is located on the ground floor in the North Building, follow the corridor from the green lifts past the coffee shop and turn right.

      A culturally sensitive service for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and their families. Aboriginal liaison officers are employed in hospitals to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People have equitable access to mainstream health care services, and to increase the cultural awareness and sensitivity of health care services to the distinct needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Families.

      To contact Wadja please call (03) 9345 6742 or see for more detail.