Stay informed with the latest updates on coronavirus (COVID-19). Find out more >>

Complaints and compliments

Complaints and Compliments

  • Online consumer feedback form

    At the RCH we define "Great Care" as providing:

    • Positive experience
    • Timely access
    • Excellent clinical outcomes
    • Zero harm
    • Sustainable healthcare

    View the RCH strategic plan

    We strive to provide a child safe organisation which recognises the Rights of the Child in Healthcare Services.

    We welcome feedback, both positive and negative, as a way to help us continually improve the services we provide to patients and their families.

    Share a compliment

    You may have had a wonderful experience and wish to provide a compliment. It is always appreciated by staff when they hear that you are happy with the great care they have provided to your child.

    Make a complaint

    Sometimes your experience may not meet your expectations. We encourage you to raise these concerns so that we have the opportunity to act on this feedback.

    We welcome feedback from children and young people. A parent or guardian can provide feedback on their behalf if this is deemed appropriate. Community members are welcome to provide feedback however if the feedback relates to the treatment or care of a child or young person we will only be able to discuss this with the child's parent or guardian.

    How do I make a complaint?

    Speak to someone locally first

    • Wherever possible, we encourage you to discuss your concerns directly with the person, ward or department
    • It is often the quickest and easiest way to resolve the issue so speak treating nurse, medical team or nurse unit manager (NUM) in the first instance

    Act quickly

    • Speak with someone as soon as possible so the information and recollection of your experience is clear and a resolution can be reached

    Provide details

    • Explain the issues and the order in which they occurred
    • Provide details of time and dates where possible
    • Provide any other details your feel appropriate (i.e. letters, meetings, appointments)
    • Explain what you are seeking as a result of your feedback

    If you feel your concerns have not been sufficiently addressed then we encourage you to make a complaint to the Consumer Liaison Officer (CLO) via the online consumer feedback form (blue button) above.

    You can also contact the Consumer Liaison Office (CLO) via email (, telephone (9345 5676) or by completing the consumer feedback form.The CLO is staffed weekdays from 9:00am - 4:00pm. If your call is not answered, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible. If the phone goes to message bank it means that the CLO is on another call or in a meeting with a family.

    What happens with my feedback?

    The CLO will direct your complaint to the most appropriate person for follow up or investigation and assist in coordinating a response to your concerns.

    When will I receive a resolution?

    The Royal Children's Hospital aims to provide you with a resolution to your feedback in 30 days. This time frame may vary depending on the complexity of the issues. You can always contact the CLO on 9345 5676 for an update on investigations.

    I want to remain anonymous, is this possible?

    Anonymous feedback is welcome; you do not need to provide your name or your child's name. However, without these details, we may be unable to adequately investigate your concerns.

    What if I am unhappy with the response from The Royal Children's Hospital?

    If you are not satisfied with the response received from The Royal Children's Hospital, we recommend that you contact:

    • The Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent statutory authority established to receive and resolve complaints about health service providers. This is a free and confidential service.
      Telephone 1300 582 113.  Website  
    • The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent, specialist body under the Mental Health Act 2014 (the Act) to safeguard rights, resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services and recommend improvements.
      Telephone 1800 246 054.  Website
    • The Disability Services Commissioner is an independent oversight body resolving complaints and promoting the right of people with a disability to be free from abuse. 
      Telephone 1800 677 342.  Website

    Patients' rights

    Health Care organisations are required to provide a statement with regards to Patient Rights. At The Royal Children's Hospital this takes the form of The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights (PDF). Access this information in other languages via the following link The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights.