For clinic specific information please refer to the
pre referral guidelines page. The
HealthPathways website also provides valuable referral guidance.
Download our external
referral form to refer a patient to the RCH Specialist Clinics. Completed referral forms are required to be faxed to 03 9345 5034.
Please provide as much clinical information as possible to ensure the correct clinic is allocated and include social and special circumstances, where relevant, as this may influence the urgency of the referral.
A valid referral requires
Patient demographic information
- full name
- name of parent, guardian or carer
- mobile phone number
- date of birth
- medicare number
- ATSI (indigenous status)
- CALD (interpreter requirements)
- reason for referral- presenting problem, GP diagnosis referral purpose
- physical examination results
- management to date
- investigation results
- relevant medical history
Please phone (03) 9345 7060 and press 1 for the Emergency Department or press 5 for switchboard.
The Admitting Officer (Emergency) or Speciality Unit (Switchboard) will be able to help you determine how quickly your patient should be seen.
If you are asked to fax your referral, please write URGENT on the fax and include the name of the person you spoke to about the referral.
Mental health referrals
Please see the referral information on the Mental Health section.
Reasons why your referral may not be accepted
There are six main reasons why your referral to the RCH may not be accepted:
- not enough demographic information (refer to the minimum requirements above) – we cannot create or find a unique record number (URN) for the child
- not enough clinical information – we are unclear about the child’s medical condition or the reason for their referral
- does not meet the age criteria – child is too young or too old for an appointment at a clinic
- out of area – there are appropriate services closer to the child’s home
- no relevant clinical service – the service the child needs is not provided by the RCH
- originally seen elsewhere – the child was seen or treated by another hospital or health service and should be referred back to this service.
Contact us to discuss a referral
To discuss the status of your referral with the RCH triage team, coordinate multiple appointments or confirm receipt of your referral, please call (03) 9345 7060 (option 2).
This phone line is for GPs only.
Find a specialist
National Health Services Directory
Other resources when referring a patient