The Respiratory group comprises a multi-disciplinary team of dynamic, friendly and committed clinicians and researchers working together on a program of clinical, laboratory and epidemiological research. This group focuses on generating high quality
research with ambitious research and clinical outcomes through collaborations with The Royal Children’s Hospital and a number of institutions nationally and overseas.
Several areas of research undertaken within this group relate to common chronic childhood respiratory conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, long-term effects of prematurity, allergy and tuberculosis. The group is also responsible for a large, long-standing epidemiology asthma project (MESCA) which is a unique
resource and is well respected internationally for the insight provided by the study into the development and evolution of childhood asthma.
The main research focus of this group is in the assessment, treatment and prevention of cystic fibrosis lung disease in young children. We believe that by preventing lung disease early in life, individuals with cystic fibrosis will live longer fulfilling lives. The Early Surveillance Program (AREST CF) is a
collaboration of specialist pediatric fibrosis centers in Perth and Melbourne, in conjunction with teams in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Indianapolis, Indiana, St Louis, Washington and Rotterdam, Netherlands, who work together to improve the respiratory health and outcomes of children with cystic fibrosis.
ARSET CF is internationally recognized for its world leading research in this area.
For more information relating to the specific types of research currently undertaken by the department, please use the following links:
Cystic Fibrosis Research Funding Application
- Liane Ioannou, Martin Delatycki, John Massie, Jan Hodgson, Sharon Lewis"Suddenly having two positive people who are carriers is a whole new thing"- Experiences of couples both identified as carriers of cystic fibrosis through a population-based carrier screening program.
J Genet Counselling 2015 (in press)
- Tonia Douglas, Brigid Jordan, Lynn Priddis, Vicki Anderson, jane Sheehan, Robert T Kane, John Massie, Cindy Branch-Smith, Linda Shields on behalf of AREST-CF. Protocol for a study of the psychological determinants of health in early childhood among children with cystic fibrosis. J Adv Nursing 2015
Feb 10. doi: 10.1111/jan.12621.
- John Massie, Lynn Gillam. Ethical Considerations with the Management of Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome. Pediatr Pulmonol 2014 Sep 5. doi: 10.1002/ppul.23097. [Epub ahead of print]
- John Massie, Liane Ioannou, Martin Delatycki. Prenatal and preconception population carrier screening for cystic fibrosis in Australia: Where are we up to? Aust New Zealand J Obstet Gyanae 2014; 54:503-509
- Michael J. Abramson, Rosa L. Schattner, Christine Holton, Pam Simpson, Nancy Briggs, Justin Beilby, Mark R. Nelson, Richard Wood-Baker, Francis Thien, Nabil D. Sulaiman, Eleonora Del Colle, Rory Wolfe, Alan J. Crockett, R. John Massie. Spirometry and Regular Follow-up do not Improve Quality of Life in Children
and Adolescents with Asthma. Pediatr Pulmonol 2014 Sep 8. doi: 10.1002/ppul.23096. [Epub ahead of print]
- Delatycki MB, Burke J, Christie L, Collins F, Gabbett M, George P, Haan E, Ioannou L, Martin N, McKenzie F, O'Leary P, Scoble-Williams N, Turner G, Massie J. Population based carrier screening for cystic fibrosis. Human Genetics Society of Australasia Position Statement. Twin
Res Hum Genet 2014;17(6):578-83
- Cindy Branch-Smith, Tonia Douglas, Linda Shields, Stephen Stick, John Massie, Julie Ann Pooley. Parental experiences of early pulmonary surveillance for children with cystic fibrosis: A research proposal for improved family psychosocial
outcomes. Working papers in Health Sciences 1;8 Summer ISSN 2051-6266/20140042
- Genetics in General Practice. Australian Fam Phys 2014;43 (11):744 [letter]
- Yuanyuan Gu, Sonia Garcia-Perez, John Massie, Kees van Gool. Cost of care for cystic fibrosis: an investigation of cost determinants using national data registry data. European Journal of Health Economics 2014 (DOI) 10.1007/s10198-014-0621-5
- Andrew Hughes, Mandie Griffiths, Monique M Ryan, Colin F Robertson, Sue-Ellen Jones, John Massie. Changing patterns for the introduction of non-invasive ventilation in children with neuromuscular disease. Internet Journal of Pulmonary Medicine 2014 (in
- John Massie. Medical Impasse: A Problem as Big as Texas? J Pediatr Child Health 2014; 50:656 [letter]
- John Massie, Carlo Castellani, Wayne W Grody. The Relevance of Carrier Screening for Cystic Fibrosis in the New Era of Medications that Restore CFTR Function. Lancet. 2014; 383:923-925
- A. D. Archibald, J Massie, D Dalton, M Smith, D du Sart, D. J. Amor. Population-based carrier screening for cystic fibrosis in Victoria: 7-year's experience. MJA 2014; 200(4);204-205 [letter]
- Carlo Castellani, John Massie. Newborn screening and carrier screening for cystic fibrosis: alternatives or complementary? Eur Resp J 2014; 43:20-23
- Jake T.B. Collie, R John Massie, Oliver A.H. Jones, Ronda F. Greaves. ,65 Years Since the New York Heat Wave: Advancements in Cystic Fibrosis Sweat Chloride Testing. Pediatr Pulmonology 2014; 49:106-117
- Fiona Cunningham, Sharon Lewis, Judith Glazner, Lisette Curnow and John Massie. Attitudes to Population-based Cystic Fibrosis Carrier Screening by Cystic Fibrosis Respiratory Physicians and Clinic Coordinators. J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13(1) 99-105
Australian Respiratory Early Surveillance Team for Cystic Fibrosis (AREST-CF).*Geographical differences in first acquisition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013 ; 10(2):108-114
- John Massie, Lynn Gillam. Uncertain diagnosis after newborn screening for cystic fibrosis: an ethics based approach to a clinical dilemma. Pediatr Pulmonol 2014; 49(1):1-7
- L. Ioannou, B. J. McClaren, J. Massie, S. Lewis, S. A. Metcalfe, L. Forrest, M. B. Delatycki. Population-based carrier screening for cystic fibrosis: A systematic review of 23 years of research. Genet Med. 2014;16(3):207-16.
- L. Ioannou, J. Massie, S. Lewis, V. Collins, B. McClaren, M. B. Delatycki. Attitudes and opinions of pregnant women who are not offered cystic fibrosis carrier screening. Eur J Hum Genet. 2014;22(7):859-65
- L Ioannou, J Massie, S Lewis, B McLaren, V Collins, MB Delatycki. 'No thanks'-reasons why pregnant women declined an offer of cystic fibrosis carrier screening. J Community Genetic 2014;5(2):109-17
- J Sheehan, H Hiscock, J Massie, A Jaffe, M Hay. Caregiver coping, mental health and child problem behaviours in cystic fibrosis: a cross sectional study. Int J Behav Med 2014;21(2):211-20
- Belinda J McClaren, MaryAnne Aitken, John Massie, David Amor, Obioha C Ukoumunne, Sylvia A Metcalfe. Cascade carrier testing after a child is diagnosed with cystic fibrosis through newborn screening: investigating why most relatives do not have testing. Genetics in Medicine 2013
- Zornitza Stark, John Massie, Liane Ioannou, Nicole Cousens, Belinda McClaren, Sharon Lewis, Sylvia Metcalfe, Martin Delatycki. Current practice and attitudes of Australian obstetricians towards population-based carrier screening for inherited
conditions. Twin Research and Human Genetics 2013; 16(2): 601-607
- Ranganathan SC, Skoric B, Ramsay KA, Carzino R, Gibson AM, Hart E, Harrison J, Bell SC, Kidd TJ; Australian Respiratory Early Surveillance Team for Cystic Fibrosis (AREST-CF) * Geographical differences in first acquisition of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013
- John Massie, Martin Delatycki. Carrier Screening for Cystic Fibrosis. Pediatr Resp Rev 2013;14(4):270-5
- M.Vandeleur, J Massie, M Oliver. Gastrostomy in children with cystic fibrosis and portal hypertension. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013;57(2):245-7.
- Fiona C E Moran, Alicia Spittle, Clare Delany, Colin F Robertson, John Massie. Effects on Hospitalisation and Lifestyle following commencement of home Mechanical In-Exsufflator use by children with Neuromuscular Disease.
- J Pediatr Ch Health 2013; 49(3): 233-7
- Kees van Gool, Richard Norman, Martin B Delatycki, Jane Hall and John Massie. Understanding the costs of care for cystic fibrosis: an analysis by age and health state. Value in Health 2013;16: 345-355
- CW Chow, John Massie, Jessica Ng, John Mills, Melissa Baker. Acinar dysplasia of the lungs: Variation in the extent of involvement and clinical features. Pathology 2013 45 (1):38-43
- LE Edwards, G Nixon, J Massie, A Wilson, S Sadasivam, M Harris, DM Cooper, CF Robertson, L Teoh, A Teng. Paediatric Home Ventilatory Support: Changing Milieu, Proactive Solutions. J Paed Child Health. 2013; 49:13-18
- Martin B, Schechter MS, Jaffe A, Cooper P, Bell SC, Ranganathan S. Comparison of the US and Australian cystic fibrosis registries: the impact of newborn screening. Pediatrics. 2012 Feb;129(2):e348-55.
- Koplin, JJ; Dharmage, SC; Ponsonby, AL; Tang, MLK; Lowe, AJ; Gurrin, LC; Osborne, NJ; Martin, PE; Robinson, MN; Wake, M; Hill, DJ; Allen, KJ. Environmental and demographic risk factors for egg allergy in a population-based study of infants. Allergy. 2012 67(11):1415-1422
- Ritz, N; Dutta, B; Donath, S; Casalaz, D; Connell, TG; Tebruegge, M; Robins-Browne, R; Hanekom, WA; Britton, WJ; Curtis, N. The Influence of Bacille Calmette-Guerin Vaccine Strain on the Immune Response against Tuberculosis A Randomized Trial. AJRCCM 2012; 185(2): 213-222.
- Chang A.B., Robertson C.F., Van Asperen P.P., Glasgow N.J., Mellis C.M., Masters I.B., Teoh L., Tjhung I., Morris P.S., Petsky H.L., Willis C., Landau L.I. A multicenter study on chronic cough in children: Burden and etiologies based on a standardized management pathway. Chest 2012; 142(4): 943-950.
- Sheehan, J; Massie, J; Hay, M; Jaffe, A; Glazner, J; Armstrong, D; Hiscock, H. The natural history and predictors of persistent problem behaviours in cystic fibrosis: a multicentre, prospective study. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012; 97(7): 625-631.
- Lodge, CJ; Lowe, AJ; Gurrin, LC; Matheson, MC; Balloch, A; Axelrad, C; Hill, DJ; Hosking, CS; Rodrigues, S; Svanes, C; Abramson, MJ; Allen, KJ; Dharmage, SC. Pets at birth do not increase allergic disease in at-risk children. Clinical and Experimental Allergy 2012; 42(9): 1377-1385
- Dharmage, SC; Lodge, CL; Matheson, MC; Campbell, B; Lowe, AJ. Exposure to Cats: Update on Risks for Sensitization and Allergic Diseases. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports 2012; 12(5): 413-423.
- Philip, J; Lowe, A; Gold, M; Brand, C; Miller, B; Douglass, J; Sundararajan, V. Palliative care for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: exploring the landscape. Internal Medicine Journal 2012; 42(9): 1053-1057.
- Chisti, MJ; Duke, T; Robertson, CF; Ahmed, T; Faruque, ASG; Ashraf, H; La Vincente, S; Bardhan, PK; Salam, MA. Clinical predictors and outcome of hypoxaemia among under-five diarrhoeal children with or without pneumonia in an urban hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine and
International Health 2012; 17(1): 106-111.
- Lowe A.J., Olsson D., Braback L., Forsberg B. Pollen exposure in pregnancy and infancy and risk of asthma hospitalisation - a register based cohort study. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology 2012; 8:17.
- Lodge, CJ; Allen, KJ; Lowe, AJ; Hill, DJ; Hosking, CS; Abramson, MJ; Dharmage, SC. Perinatal Cat and Dog Exposure and the Risk of Asthma and Allergy in the Urban Environment: A Systematic Review of Longitudinal Studies. Clinical and Developmental Immunology 2012; Article ID 176484,
- Strachan RE, Cornelius A, Gilbert GL, Gulliver T, Martin A, McDonald T, Nixon G, Roseby R, Ranganathan S, Selvadurai H, Smith G, Soto-Martinez M, Suresh S,Teoh L, Thapa K, Wainwright CE, Jaffé A. Pleural fluid nucleic acid testing enhances pneumococcal surveillance in children. Respirology. 2012
- Loeve M, Hop W, de Bruijne M, van Hal P, Robinson P, Aitken M, Dodd J, Tiddens H. Chest Computed Tomography scores are predictive of survival in CF patients awaiting lung transplantation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2012; 185(10) 1096-1103
- Robinson P, Schechter MS, Sly PD, Winfield K, Smith J, Brennan S, Shinkai M, Henke M, Rubin BK. Clarithromycin therapy for patients with cystic fibrosis: a randomized controlled trial. Ped Pulm 2012; 47:551–557
- Mott LS, Park J, Murray CP, Gangell CL, de Klerk NH, Robinson PJ, Robertson CF, Ranganathan SC, Sly PD, Stick SM; AREST CF. Progression of early structural lung disease in young children with cystic fibrosis assessed using CT. Thorax.
- Garratt LW, Wright AK, Ranganathan SC, Grigg J, Sly PD; behalf of AREST CF. Small macrophages are present in early childhood respiratory disease. J Cyst Fibros. 2012; 11(3):201-8.
- Smith C, Winn A, Seddon P, Ranganathan S. A fat lot of good: balance and trends in fat intake in children with cystic fibrosis. J Cyst Fibros. 2012; 11(2):154-7.
- John Massie, Lisette Curnow, Judith Glazner, David Armstrong, Ivan Francis. Lessons Learned from 20 years of Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis. Med J Aust 2012; 196(1):67-70.
- Amanda Griffiths, Danielle Wurzel, Phil Robinson, Rosemary Carzino, John Massie. Australian epidemic strain pseudomonas (AES-1) declines further in a cohort segregated cystic fibrosis clinic. J of Cystic Fibrosis. 2012; 11(1) 49-52)
- Ramasamy A, Sailaja Vedantam MK, Gajdos ZK, Alves AC, Lyon HN, Ferreira MAR, Strachan DP, Zhao JH, Abramson MJ, Brown MA, Coin L, Dharmage SC, Duffy DL, Haahtela T, Heath AC, Janson C, Kaho nen M, Khaw K, Laitinen J, Le Souef P, Lehtimaki T, Australian Asthma Genetics Consortium
collaborators, Madden PAF, Marks GB, Martin NG, Matheson MC, Palmer CD, Palotie A, Pouta A, Robertson CF, Viikari J, Widen E, Wjst N, Jarvis DL, MontgomeryG, Thompson PJ Wareham N, Eriksson J, Jousilahti P, Laitinen T, Pekkanen J, Raitakari OT, O'Connor GT, Salomaa V, Jarvelin M,
Hirschhorn J. Genome-Wide Association Studies of Asthma in Population-Based Cohorts Confirm Known and Suggested Loci and Identify an Additional Association near HLA. PLOS ONE 2012 ;7:e44008
- Chang AB, Robertson CF, Grimwood K, van Asperen PP, Wilson AC, O'Grady KA, Sloots TP, Torzillo PJ, Bailey EJ, McCallum GB, Masters IB, Byrnes CA, Buntain HM, Mackay IM, Morris PS, Chatfield MD. Antibiotics for bronchiectasis exacerbations in children: rationale and study protocol for
a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Trials. 2012 Aug 31;13(1):156. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hacking DF, Gibson AM, Robertson C, Doyle LW; for the Victorian Infant Collaborative Study Group (VICS).
Respiratory function at age 8-9 after extremely low birthweight or preterm birth in Victoria in 1997. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Jul 23. doi: 10.1002/ppul.22619. [Epub ahead of print]
- Papadopoulos NG, Arakawa H, Carlsen KH, Custovic A, Gern J, Lemanske R, Le Souef P, Mäkelä M, Roberts G, Wong G, Zar H, Akdis CA, Bacharier LB, Baraldi E, van Bever HP, de Blic J, Boner A, Burks W, Casale TB, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Chen YZ, El-Gamal YM, Everard ML, Frischer T, Geller M, Gereda J, Goh DY,
Guilbert TW, Hedlin G, Heymann PW, Hong SJ, Hossny EM, Huang JL, Jackson DJ, de Jongste JC, Kalayci O, Aït-Khaled N, Kling S, Kuna P, Lau S, Ledford DK, Lee SI, Liu AH, Lockey RF, Lødrup-Carlsen K, Lötvall J, Morikawa A, Nieto A, Paramesh H, Pawankar R, Pohunek P, Pongracic J, Price
D, Robertson C, Rosario N, Rossenwasser LJ, Sly PD, Stein R, Stick S, Szefler S, Taussig LM, Valovirta E, Vichyanond P, Wallace D, Weinberg E, Wennergren G, Wildhaber J, Zeiger RS. International consensus on (ICON) pediatric asthma. Allergy. 2012 67:976-97.
- Yong MS, d'Udekem Y, Brizard CP, Robertson T, Robertson CF, Weintraub R, Konstantinov IE. Surgical management of pulmonary artery sling in children. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kidd T, Ramsay K, Hu H, Marks G, Wainwright C, Bye P, Elkins M, Robinson P, Rose B, Wilson J, Grimwood, Keith, Bell, Scott. Shared Pseudomonas Aeruginosa genotypes are common in Australian Cystic Fibrosis centers. European Resp Jnl accepted July 2012
- Widger J, Ranganathan S, Robinson PJ. Progression of structural lung disease on CT scans in children with cystic fibrosis related diabetes. J Cyst Fibros. 2012 Oct 11. doi:pii: S1569-1993(12)00178-6. 10.1016/j.jcf.2012.09.005. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23063610.
- Widger J, Oliver MR, O'Connell M, Cameron FJ, Ranganathan S, Robinson PJ. Glucose tolerance during pulmonary exacerbations in children with cystic fibrosis. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e44844. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0044844. Epub 2012 Sep 13. PubMed PMID: 23028642; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3441597.
- Welsh L, King L, Oliver M, Catto-Smith T, Robinson P. Respiratory manifestations of Crohn's disease in children and adolescents. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2012; 186(10):1060-1
- Furness T, Bate N, Welsh L, Naughton G, Lorenzen C. Efficacy of a whole-body vibration intervention to improve exercise tolerance and functional performance of the lower limbs of people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. BMC Pulm Med 2012, 12:71, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2466-12-71
- Davis, A; Massie, J. Management of asthma in children with long QT syndrome. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 2012; 13(2): 100-105.
- John Widger, John Massie. Heads Up: Leukotriene receptor antagonists in asthma. J Pediatr Ch Health [letter] 2012; 48:1043-1044
- Richard Norman, Kees van Gool, Jane Hall, Martin Delatycki, John Massie. The Cost-Effectiveness of Carrier Screening for Cystic Fibrosis: Approaches in Australia. J of Cystic Fibrosis 2012; 11:281-287
- Samuel Collins, John Widger, Andrew Davis, John Massie. Management of asthma in children with long QT syndrome. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2012; 13(2):100-5.
Simpson S. Air trapping on chest CT is associated with worse ventilation distribution in infants with cystic fibrosis diagnosed following newborn screening.
PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e23932.
- Gangell C, Gard S, Douglas T, Park J, de Klerk N, Keil T, Brennan S, Ranganathan S, Robins-Browne R, Sly PD; AREST CF.
Inflammatory responses to individual microorganisms in the lungs of children with cystic fibrosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53(5):425-32.
- Manuel Soto-Martinez, Vanessa Clifford, Tom Clarnette, Sarath Ranganathan, R John Massie. Spontaneous chylothorax in a 2-year old child. Med J Aust. 2011:195(7); 385
- Massie J. Case 6: Sarah presents with a persistent cough. In: Dodgshun C. ed. Genetic disorders. Check: Independent Learning Program for GPs Unit 475. South Melbourne, Australia: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2011:19–22.
- Anne Marie Ebden, Jenny Royle, John Massie. Management and prevention of whooping cough. Medicine Today 2011; 12(6): 40-48
- John Massie. Difficulties in diagnosing cystic fibrosis. Medicine Today. 2011; 12 (4); 83-85
- Naveen Pillarisetti, Elizabeth Williamson, Barry Linnane, Billy Skoric, Colin F Robertson, Phil Robinson, John Massie, Graham L. Hall, Peter Sly, Stephen Stick and Sarath Ranganathan on behalf of the Australian Respiratory Early Surveillance Team for Cystic Fibrosis (AREST CF). Infection,
inflammation and lung function decline in infants with cystic fibrosis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2011; 184:75–81
- McClaren B, Metcalfe S, Amor D, Aitken M, Massie J. A case for cystic fibrosis carrier testing in the general population. MJA 2011; 194(4): 208-209
- Kathryn Cugley, Nigel Crawford, Jenny Royle, John Massie. Immunisation status of patients with cystic fibrosis. J Paediatr Child Health 2011; 46:768-771
- Thomson E, Brennan S, Senthilmohan R, Gangell CL, Chapman AL, Sly PD, Kettle AJ; Australian Respiratory Early Surveillance Team for Cystic Fibrosis (AREST CF), Balding E, Berry LJ, Carlin JB, Carzino R, de Klerk N, Douglas T, Foo C, Garratt LW, Hall GL, Harrison J, Kicic A, Laing IA, Logie KM, Massie J,
Mott LS, Murray C, Parsons F, Pillarisetti N, Poreddy SR, Ranganathan SC, Robertson CF, Robins-Browne R, Robinson PJ, Skoric B, Stick SM, Sutanto EN, Williamson E. Identifying peroxidises and their oxidants in the early pathology of cystic fibrosis. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010; 49: 1354-60
- Berry LJ, Sheil B, Garratt L, Sly PD, Massie J; AREST CF. Stability of interleukin 8 and neutrophils elastase in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid following long-term storage. J Cyst Fibros. 2010 Sep;9(5):346-50.
- Carlo Castellani, John Massie. Emerging Issues in Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine 2010; 16(6): 584-90
- John Massie, Martin B Delatcki Reducing the burden of inherited disease: the Human Variome Project [letter]. Med J Aust 2010; 193(7): 430-431
- Belinda J. McClaren, Sylvia A. Metcalfe, MaryAnne Aitken, Obioha C. Ukoumunne, R. John Massie, David J. Amor Uptake of cystic fibrosis carrier testing in families after diagnosis through newborn screening. Eur J Hum Genet 2010; 2010;18(10):1084-9.
- Pillarisetti N, Linnane B, Ranganathan S, Massie J; AREST CF. Early bronchiectasis in Cystic Fibrosis fibrosis detected by surveillance CT. Respirology. 2010;15(6):1009-11.
- Liane Ioannou, John Massie, Sharon Lewis, Vicki Petrou, Alexandra Gason, Sylvia Metcalfe, MaryAnne Aitken, Agnes Bankier and Martin B Delatycki. Evaluation of a multi-disease carrier screening program in Ashkenazi Jewish high schools. Clinical Genetics
- Carlo Castellani, Milan Macek Jr, Jean-Jacques Cassiman, Alistair Duff, John Massie, Leo P ten Kate, David Barton, Garry Cutting, Bruno Dalla Piccola, Els Dequeker, Emmanuelle Girodon, Wayne Grody, Edward Highsmith, Helena Kääriäinen, Stephan Kruip, Michael Morris, Pier Franco Pignatti, Ulrike Pypops,
Wolf Rogowski, Martin Schwarz, Maria Soller, Manfred Stuhrman, Harry Cuppens. Benchmarks for Cystic Fibrosis Carrier Screening: A European Consensus Document. J Cystic Fibrosis 2010; 9:165-178
- John Massie, Lydia Gaffney, Lisette Curnow, John Carlin, Ivan Francis. Declining prevalence of cystic fibrosis since the introduction of newborn screening. Arch Dis Child 2010; 95: 531-533
- Lucy Modra, John Massie, Martin Delatycki. Ethical considerations in choosing a model for population-based cystic fibrosis carrier screening. Med J Aust 2010; 193 (3): 157-160
- Liane Ioannou, John Massie, Veronica Collins, Belinda McClaren, Martin Delatycki. Population-Based Genetic Screening for Cystic Fibrosis: Attitudes and Outcomes. Population Health Genomics 2010; 13:449-456
- John Massie, Michelle Fink. Suspected foreign body inhalation in children: What are the indications for bronchoscopy? J Pediatrics [letter] 2010;156(4):690-691
- Garratt LW, Mistry V, Singh R, Sandhu JK, Sheil B, Cooke MS, Sly PD, Massie J; AREST CF. Interpretation of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine is adversely affected by methodological inaccuracies when using a commercial ELISA.
- James Tibballs, Robert Henning, Colin F Robertson, John Massie, Mark Hochmann, Bradley Carter, Anthony Osborne, Rosemary A Stephens, Maureen Scoble, Sue-Ellen Jones, Justine White Doug Bryan. Outcomes of a domiciliary respiratory support programme for children by parents and
layperson carers. J Paediatr Ch Health 2010; 46:57-62.
- Lowe A, Carlin J, Bennettc, Hosking C, Allen K, Robertson C, Axelrad C, Abramson M, Hill D, Dharmage S. Does paracetamol in early life cause asthma? Respirology 2010;15(Supp 1):A24.
- Gibson A, Ranaganathan S, Robertson C, Doyle L. Respiratory function tracking in adult survivors of prematurity and low birth weight. Respirology 2010;15(Supp 1):A38.
- Willis C, Van Asperen P, Robertson C, Morris P, Glasgow N, Teoh L, Masters I, Mellis C, Landau L, Chang A. Multicentre RCT using standardised management algorithm for treatment of chronic cough in children. Respirology 2010;15(Supp 1):A64.
- Soto-Martinez M, Palmer G, Torode I, Robertson C. Postoperative complications following corrective scoliosis surgery in a group of high risk children. Respirology 2010;15(Supp 1):A64
- John Massie, Lydia Gaffney, Lisette Curnow, John Carlin, Ivan Francis. The declining incidence of cystic fibrosis since the introduction of newborn screening. Arch Dis Child 2010 (in press)
- Kathryn Cugley, Nigel Crawford, Jenny Royle, John Massie. Immunisation status of patients with cystic fibrosis. J Paediatr Child Health 2010 (in press)
- Mary Herzig, Robert Berkowitz, Keith Stokes, Simon Young, Michelle Fink, John Massie Blunt upper airway trauma in children: cases, mechanisms, and management. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010(in press)
- Liane Ioannou, John Massie, Veronica Collins, Belinda McClaren, Martin Delatycki. Population-Based Genetic Screening for Cystic Fibrosis: Attitudes and Outcomes. Population Genomics 2010 (in press)
- John Massie, Michelle Fink. Suspected foreign body inhalation in children: What are the indications for bronchoscopy? J Pediatrics 2010 [letter]
- James Tibballs, Robert Henning, Colin F Robertson, John Massie, Mark Hochmann, Bradley Carter, Anthony Osborne, Rosemary A Stephens, Maureen Scoble, Sue-Ellen Jones, Justine White Doug Bryan. Outcomes of a domiciliary respiratory support programme for children by parents and layperson
carers. J Paediatr Ch Health 2010; 46:57-62.
- Wilson GR, Wang HX, Egan GF, Robinson PJ, Delatycki MB, O'Bryan MK, Lockhart PJ. Deletion of the Parkin Co-Regulated gene causes defects in ependymal ciliary motility and hydrocephalus in the quaking viable mutant mouse. Hum Mol Genet. 2010 In press (accepted Jan 27)
- Sirithangkul S, Ranganathan S, Robinson P, Robertson C. Positive Expiratory Pressure to Enhance Cough Effectiveness in Tracheomalacia. J Med Assoc Thai 2010 (in press)
- Harrison J, Gibson A, Johnson K, Singh G, Skoric B, Ranganathan S. Lung function in preschool children with a history of wheezing measured by forced oscillation and plethysmographic specific airway resistance. Pediatric Pulmonology 2010 (in press).
- L Welsh, J Kirkby S Lum, D Odendaal, N Marlow, G Derrick & J Stocks. The EPICure study: Maximal exercise and physical activity in school children born extremely preterm, Thorax 2010; 65(2):165-72
- J Kirkby, S Stanojevic, L Welsh, S Lum, M Badier, C Beardsmore, A Custovic, K Nielsen, J Paton, W Tomalak, J Stocks. Reference equations for specific airway resistance in children: the Asthma UK initiative. Eur Respir J 2010 (in press)
- Soto-Martinez ME, Sly P. Bronchoscopic assessment of wheezy infants: should this be a clinical routine? Publicacion of the "Sociedad Iberoamericana de Información Científica (SIIC)"
- Soto-Martinez ME, Hoepker A, Soto-Quiros M. Wheezing and pneumonia: A complex relationship. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2010 Jan-Feb;38(1):1-3
- Yock-Corrales A, Soto-Martinez ME, Starr M. Management of severe asthma. Australia Family Physician. (in press)