In this section
• The goal of these guidelines is to minimise the fasting times
for clear fluids to 1 hour.
• Only the anaesthetist may adjust these guidelines.
• If a patient appears likely to fast for much longer than these
times, please contact the anaesthetist (see below).
• Please plan for the last breast feed to finish no later than 3 Hours before anaesthesia.
• Please plan for a formula feed to finish no later
than 4 Hours before anaesthesia.
• Please do not give milk drinks, food, lollies or chewing gum for
6 Hours before anaesthesia.
• Please offer clear fluids up to 1 Hour before anaesthesia.
• Please continue regular oral medications unless otherwise
requested by the anaesthetist.
• Medications can be taken with a sip of clear fluid.
• The fasting orders above should be applied to that admission
• Morning Operation: List starts at 0830:
Please fast from 0230 for food or milk and continue clear fluids until 0730
Operation: List starts at
Please fast from 0730 for food or milk and continue clear fluids until 1230
• Cardiac Surgery: List starts at 0800:
Please fast from 0200 for food or milk, and continue clear fluids until 0700
The fasting plan should be discussed at booking. Whilst awaiting
surgery, the fasting plan should be reviewed at intervals with the duty
anaesthetist to minimise dehydration.
Clear fluids are those fluids
which, when held to the light, are transparent. They include glucose-based
drinks, cordials and clear juices. They do not include particulate
or milk-based products OR Jelly
Diabetes Mellitus patients will have
special requirements and the anaesthetist of the day should be consulted.
For elective cases, the anaesthetist for
the list should be contacted
first for all queries regarding fasting. Please use the paging
For emergency cases or when unable to contact the elective list
anaesthetist, you can call the anaesthetist in charge on
ascom phone 52000.
After hours contact the registrar or fellow on call on page
5773 or ascom phone 52000