In this section
Registrations are now open for the Ethics for Clinical Practice (ECP) Program. The aim of the ECP program is to increase
nursing confidence and engagement in clinical ethics discussions and decision making. The overall purpose
is to optimise nursing input into clinical ethics issues at RCH. The program will have an intake of approximately 12 nurses from any level at RCH, with some places
reserved for external applicants.
It consists of 3 study days over 4 weeks held on site at RCH, 5th, 19th Oct & 9th Nov, 2023. There will be no virtual option for
attendance unless the course must be fully online due to a change in COVID restrictions. Nurses will be
required to use their professional development leave to be paid for these study days.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to clinical ethics
- Clinical Ethics (issues, challenges, questions) in nursing practice
- Recognising ethical issues: Reflective practice and narrative ethics
- Ethics concepts that can help in thinking about ethical problems
- Zone of Parental Discretion
- Deciding with children
- Experiencing ethical challenges in everyday nursing practice
- Moral distress and moral regret
- Addressing ethical challenges in everyday nursing practice
- How to talk about ethical issues
- Nursing advocacy
Day 3 will also include a supported ethics simulation with an actor.
Nurses who complete the three days of the program will then be invited to attend drop-in monthly mentor
sessions facilitated by a member of the CBC, and to join the Nursing Ethics Support Team (NEST), if they
To be eligible to apply for this program you must be:
1. A registered nurse employed at RCH with at least 2 years paediatric experience.
2. Able to commit to all program dates below.
3. Have your Unit Manager or Department Head approval.
If we receive more applications than positions available in the course we will be selecting participants from a
variety of wards/ departments based on the quality of their application.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST OPEN NOW